Thursday, February 25, 2010

5-gallon Storage Buckets

A great opportunity was discovered recently to purchase 5-gallon storage buckets at a really cheap price. As I was spreading the good news, several people asked, "What do you use them for?" Since I love a dangling preposition as much as anyone, I thought I'd blog the answer! This list is by no means comprehensive, but in my experience they work wonderfully for the following:

Wheat/Oats/Rice - We've been admonished to use our food, not just store it. While wheat is good on the shelf for 30 years, it does a body good too. I've found that a 5-gallon bucket of wheat is much easier to manage than six #10 cans. I'd have to grind up several cans of wheat to make bread whereas having only one open bucket is logistically easier for me. Ditto for how quickly we use oatmeal and rice.

Portable Potty - Let's talk about the most important use for a bucket! Purchase this from your favorite retailer and place it on top of your bucket to make your very own emergency toilet. (We have several children, so I don't go 5 minutes without thinking of a toilet.)

72-Hour Kits - Depending on the size of your family, these buckets can serve as easily portable, dry storage for a First Aid Kit, toilet paper to accompany above toilet, extra clothes, food, etc. I've even known families to make individual kits in 5-gallon buckets when each person could carry their own.

Container Gardening - When space is at a premium and you'd like to have fresh vegetables, drill a few holes for drainage and you have a garden. A friend grew fabulous tomatoes on their apartment patio in such a bucket. Wonderfully prepared.
Have your own ideas on how to use this water-proof storage unit? Send them to lapeerwardprepared@gmail.com. I'll blog your ideas too!
-Anne Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment