Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beef Jerky at the Fair


I'm just too excited to keep this to myself anymore. Inspired by so many others who are constantly adding to their family's preparedness, I have made beef jerky. I stopped at H&S Meat Market in Lapeer (where Saginaw Street meets M-24, behind the filling station) and purchased an eye of round. Big deal for me since I usually only talk to the butcher at Sam's Club to ask for a big roll of 90% lean ground beef.

Alton Brown of Food Network fame had what I think is the best recipe for homemade beef jerky, so I gave it a shot. There are lots of factors in the drying process and I've still not perfected that in my kitchen, but I'm telling you...it tastes really good!

First I tried the oven process (lowest setting, door propped open) and then I tried the dehydrator. My vote goes to the oven, but watch your time. It doesn't take nearly the 12 hours Mr. Brown suggests. Here is the recipe.

OR stop by my booth (72 Hour Kits) at the Preparedness Fair on May 22nd. I'll have samples of the jerky and recipes for you to take home and try yourself. Beef jerky is so expensive in the store; this is a great way to save money and learn a new skill all to benefit you and your family!

See you at the fair!
- Anne Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment